Monday, February 25, 2013

Looking at Google Analytics Goals, Funnels and Filters


This week I continued to look at the different tools available from Google Analytics. I was able to take what I learned and apply a few changes to my blog to generate traffic. I planned out a set of goals to accomplish this week. These included a duration goal, a URL goal and a pages visited goal. I also added a custom filter to find more specific data. Unfortunately, I have low traffic to my blog site so the funnel function does not give me much information. Even though my results are minimal, I am able to use what I have to help change this for future blogs and websites. I will also look at how these parameters can affect other businesses as well.

Goals

Setting up goals within Google Analytics is the best way to measure the success rate of a blog or website (Sparks, 2010). There are a variety of goals that businesses should track. Some of these include comments, social bookmarking actions, newsletter subscriptions or email signups, new accounts and for ecommerce sites, sales. By tracking comments, the business can allow their users to become more engaged (Ran, 2009). Tracking these also encourages the business to react quickly to different comments. Social bookmarking helps the business know whether users are clicking on the social icons on the page and connecting on other social media. The newsletter and email signup goals show the business whether the visitors are interested enough in the content to want regular updates. New accounts are an obvious goal to track to understand how the business is attracting new visitors or customers. When tracking a sales goal, it is important to track every step along the way to better understand where to improve the process (Ran, 2009). All of these goals should help give the business a better understanding how to improve their website.

Goal One: Duration

The first of my goals I will look at is the duration goal. This type of goal gives information about a particular type of behavior on the site (PI Reed, 2013). My goal was a visit duration time of more than 2 minutes and 30 seconds. On Saturday February 23 I completed this goal. One visitor stayed on the page for more than the assigned time. Looking at the screenshot below, the average duration time was 8 minutes and 30 seconds. This increased from the week before when the average duration was 4 minutes and 30 seconds.


This shows me my content is worth reading to hold a visitor for more than 8 minutes. The next step would be to turn this good duration time into engagement in the form of comments.

Goal Two: URL

The second goal I set up was a URL goal. I wanted to see if I was getting visits to my Google plus page from my blog site. This goal was, however, left incomplete. I think I can attribute this to the placement of my Google plus profile link on my blog. On the home page, the widget is at the very bottom of the page. This makes it hard to find because it requires the visitor to scroll all the way to the bottom of the page. To complete this goal, I think I will change the positioning of the widget to the right sidebar instead of the bottom. This will hopefully generate traffic to my profile.

Goal Three: Page/Visit

The third goal was finding out the number of pages viewed per visit. I set the goal to complete when they visited two or more pages. The visitors viewed an average of 7.25 pages during one visit. I think this is a success and shows me that different posts have been viewed at different times. When looking at the screenshot below, I can see my blog post, Google All the Way is the most viewed, other than the homepage. My post, Basic Metrics is the least viewed. I can take this information, compare the content in each post and figure out what works and what does not for my viewing audience.



I also experimented with added page. I added an About Me page with my other social media profiles and website. I wanted to see what type of traffic I could attract to my profiles. I planned to set another URL goal for visiting my other website but I thought there was an error with the page. I was unable to view the new page on my blog. However, it looks as if there have been two views to this page since I added it to the blog. My next move is to figure out how to generate more traffic to the About Me page and set a new goal.

Filters

Filters are a powerful tool when applied the right way. They can manipulate the data being recorded to provide accurate results (PI Reed, 2013). One of the most popular filters for businesses is the one that ‘excludes’ their staff (Overland, 2009). This makes sense because it helps narrow down the information to just those unique visitors completely new to the site. This led me to set a custom browser filter.

Browser Filter

I realized my own views and interactions with the blog were being counted and skewing my data. I set the filter to exclude all visits from a Google Chrome web browser, seeing as that is what I use to view the blog. Hopefully, this will give me a better set of data to analyze. On the other hand, a majority of my views come from a Google Chrome web browser so I may be eliminating important data. I will have to find a new filter to use to eliminate my own blog interaction.

Funnels

A funnel is the path the visitor is expected to take once visiting the website (PI Reed, 2013). This gives businesses an idea at what point visitors abandon their website. This shows them the problem areas and they can figure out what they may need to do to fix it. Unfortunately, I do not have enough pages on my blog to have the need for a funnel.

Conclusion

The goals, filters and funnel tools in Google Analytics can be very beneficial. Goals help measure the website success rate, filters help give accurate data and results and the funnels show where website problems occur. For my blog, I have found from my goals that my visits are increasing when posted on the right day and the content is interesting enough to keep the visitors engaged. I have also found what to eliminate using certain filters and how to establish a funnel if needed in the future. Businesses should be sure to study each tool to figure out what works best for them and their website.



References

Overland, H. (2009). Google analytics filter best practices. Search Engine People, Retrieved from http://www.searchenginepeople.com/blog/google-analytics-filter-best-practices.html
PI Reed School of Journalism. (2013). Lesson 6: Successful approaches in Google Analytics. Retrieved February 24, 2013 from ecampus.wvu.edu
Ran. (2009). 10 must track google analytics goals. Web Analytics World, Retrieved from http://www.webanalyticsworld.net/2009/03/10-must-track-google-analytics-goals.html
Sparks, D. (2010). Google analytics in depth: Goals and funnels. Six Revisions, Retrieved from http://sixrevisions.com/tools/google-analytics-in-depth-goals-and-funnels/

No comments:

Post a Comment